Tobener Ravenscroft

Foreclosures Articles

Estoppel Certificates

What is a Tenant Estoppel Certificate (Estoppel Agreement)?

When a landlord places a rental property up for sale, the realtor and landlord will request a tenant to complete and sign an estoppel certificate. An estoppel certificate is used to inform a potential buyer of commercial or residential rental property of the rights of existing tenants.


Foreclosure in Rent Control Versus Non-Rent Control Jurisdiction Tenant rights in foreclosure hinge on whether your unit is in a rent-controlled or non-rent-controlled jurisdiction. If you live in a property in Berkeley, Hayward, San Francisco, or Oakland, you need to first determine if you are covered by the eviction protection portion of your rent control ordinance. You likely are. In San Francisco, most rental units built before 1979 in San Francisco have eviction protection. This includes single family homes, live-work… Read More »

Contact Us!